Seth Godin, author of many fantastic marketing books, recently spoke with our friend at CyberPR - Ariel Hyatt about the music industry and how artists can make money in the new model which is vastly different than the major label dominated past.
Lessons for travel marketers abound in this interview:
- Standing up for what you love and believe in (as a resort hotel owner) helps you deliver the amazing experiences that your guests crave.
- Bravery in marketing means standing for something special (something weird, as Seth says) and attracting people that love that special thing.
- Marketing today is complicated, but if you are genuine and can "touch" people that experience your property, they will tell "people like themselves."
- Creating a "tribe" of people that truly love what you do or what you have created is powerful. You can attract a list of people that will not only buy from you again, but actually SELL you to their friends and family, if you make it easy for them to do so.
- If you want to be great, you have to be willing to fail. You can't appeal to everybody, so appeal to 'your fans' -- the people that love you and talk about you.
There is a lot that independent resort hotel owners in Belize can learn from the new way that music is marketed online and through word of mouth from fans. Paying very close attention to your most enthusiastic guests and empowering them to tell your story when they get back home can earn you a lot of future business. So help people KNOW YOUR STORY and encourage them to share it with everyone. Look closely at your internet marketing program, your online reservation system and how you are using the free tools available on social media. Find ways of doing things better, or call Guest Caye Resort Marketing for help.